Sunday 29 September 2019

Making a new doll called "Penny Dreadful".....

I'm making a new doll using a pattern by Arley Berryhill called "Penny Dreadful".  I started making the head first. To me this is always the hardest part.
This is the same pattern cut exactly the same way. The first head is deer suede and the second Kona cotton. The pattern suggests suede cloth primarily so I used it first and got this very strangely shaped head. A very elongated skull. However just out of curiosity I made the head in cotton and it looks more like a normal shaped doll head.

I decided to experiment and made another head out of deer suede not taking the directions about the stretch of the fabric quite so literally. I cut the back of the head on the straight and not on the stretch and the face front not quite on the direction of the fabric's stretch. Hope that makes sense.

Here is the result.....better I think but ? The face is too far forward and looks more masculine.
After all that I decided to take some of the stuffing out of the first head I made. Then I rolled it around in my hands and squished it to try and get it to look something like the head I made in cloth.

Squishing is a very important technical term :) Here's the result. I think this looks more like it. 

The swearing done while I tried to get a decent looking nose. Well!!!

I gave up after three attempts. It is what it is.

Take care:)


7 comments:

  1. I think you should keep that head I cannot see anything wrong with the nose. You are right i like the cotton head but you could still use the deer suede head. Make it into a pixie or fairy after all they are unearthly creatures so they can be strange looking.😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi... seperti patung kepala hehhehe nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. telling "them"... it should read "them" ... where is the edit button? I'm not deleting it and doing it over again...okay..just a minute... maybe I can copy and paste...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I can believe swearing Mary Ann.... you would be shocked to hear what I say when things are not going according to plan...and, that would be MY plan! I've done the same with heads of dolls and bears... sometimes they just don't turn out anything like the finished article shown with a pattern. I bad mouth the artist often... telling them I know they did it on purpose and stuff like that.
    It's the same with recipes.... when you find out the measurements don't work. Who did their proof reading anyway?
    So, after all of that ranting..hahahahh... they will all be good for something... some day... (I have a bag full of heads) ... no head is ever truly wasted....is it?

    There ...edited it... hah. Can't fool me forever...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.....I still haven't made this doll because the head annoys me every time I look at it. The stump body is okay and I think I'll make my own head. Then again I probably have one somewhere that I can recycle :)

      Delete

If you leave a comment and I don't respond it's because I didn't get an email notice. This sometimes happens. I apologize in advance as I love to hear from you:)